Sunday 9 February 2020

Quilling Portrait



Hello Friends,

This is my first attempt on Quilling Portrait. I have tried to make a Portrait of my Family using Quilling. I always had a dream to make a quilling portrait . I used one of our family photo. I made this portrait to gift my husband on our aniversary.

You need to use only 3 mm quilling strips for this. First I completed the dress part of all the three people.

  • I started with my husbands jacket. First you need to give an outline for the jacket , It is done by sticking the quilling strip in a vertical fashion. The jacket is a combination of  denim blue and brown colour quilling strips. The pocket of the jacket is made using white colour quilling strips. I have used two shades of blue colour.  Most of the jacket is covered with tight coils which is made using half quilling strip. In some places I have covered with comb shapes also. You need to see the space and fill it with coils. 
  • Now lets start with my daughters beautiful pink frock. Start with the outline using pink colour quilling strip. The complete frock is made using tight coils ( pink colour ). Make tight coils using half quilling strip and stick it. Make sure you fill the empty spaces. The neck part is done using skin colour quilling strips. Make tight coils using half quilling strip. 
  • Next is the final portrait which is my saree. The saree is a combination of black and white colour . Start with the outline using black colour quilling strip. The saree is a floral design, so I have made some flowers using marquise  shapes ( white colour ) . In some places I have rolled the quilling strip in a spiral fashion and stuck it . The blouse is made using black colour quilling strips. Make some tight coils using half quilling strip. The hands and neck is made using tight coils ( skin colour ). 
Now comes the most difficult part which is the face 😦

First I have made the hairs using black colour quilling strips. Make some comb shapes to make the hairs. Give an outline for the face using skin colour quilling strip. I have not filled the complete face with quilling coils. I tried putting coils to the entire face but it was not looking good . So I made only the facial features ( eyes , nose , lips , ears ).  Make all the facial features to complete your Portrait.

I have tried my best to give justice to our family photo. I hope you will appreciate my effort.


1 comment: